Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reflections on Oral Presentation 2

My CG1413 project group’s oral presentation was on Monday, 22nd March, 2010. My group comprising of Renuka Devi, Alden Ho and myself, led by our very responsible leader Ying Cong, performed relatively well. As a whole, we displayed team spirit by maintaining a coherent tone and pace throughout the presentation and by having smooth transitions between individuals. In addition, we also followed a black and white colour theme for our dress code to look more coordinated as a team. These factors and more added up to the overall excellence of our team presentation.



In particular, I will now be evaluating my own presentation based on both the verbal and non-verbal aspects of my speech.

In my speech, there were instances when I made references to points addressed by the previous speaker, Alden. This individual effort added to the team’s coherence. In addition, I also adopted a comfortable pace and volume throughout. Moreover, I emphasized on certain points to bring more attention to them. This is commendable as it is crucial for the audience to follow the presentation easily. However, some drawbacks I noticed were that I could have made more pauses during my speech to allow the audience to absorb what was being delivered to them.

Moving on to the non-verbal aspects of my speech, I have observed that I have maintained a confident posture throughout the presentation which is notably good. Moreover I managed to maintain constant eye contact with the audience as I did not refer to the cue card at all and only referred to the slides occasionally. However, I feel that I should not have held the remote control as well as my cue card as I did not even use them and they only resulted in restricting my hand gestures. Furthermore, I think I should have made more references to the slides to better connect my speech with the content on the slides in order to make the presentation more engaging.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ish,

    I felt that the reflection that you wrote was reflective of your performance for the presentation. First, I felt you did a good job for this presentation as you appeared full of confidence, and was familiar with the parts that you were presenting. On top of that, I could notice your effort in trying to convince the audience that the solutions your group has come up with is implementable.

    However, I observed that you were holding both the cue cards and the remote during the presentation. As you were holding many items, your hands appeared clustered and was distracting. As a result, the focus of the audience is often shifted from the presentation to your hands.

    Perhaps, as a suggestion, I recommend that you ought to attempt presenting without a script since you seems quite comfortable presenting in front of a crowd. Moreover, you speak fluently with minimal pauses, so I believe you can perform exceptionally well even without a script.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ish. I really enjoyed your teams’ presentation, especially the introduction, which was really very captivating. Your reflections were good and they did reflect well on your part during the presentation. You managed to cover all the areas of your speech, including the verbal and non verbal aspects, which is good as those reading your reflections would be able to judge you accordingly.
    Overall, your presentation was good. You were dressed appropriately for the occasion and displayed a great sense of confidence, which I felt was lacking in some of us. Your tone was appropriate and you managed to keep to a standard pace instead of rushing through your speech. You seemed comfortable speaking to the audience and did not display any sense of insecurity throughout the entire presentation. Also, you took initiative to answer the questions during the Q&A session, which was very good on your part and it clearly portrayed teamwork.
    Your body language, however, was a point to taken note of. As you already reflected in your post, you were holding the remote control in your hand, which you did not even use during the presentation. So, I felt that you could have used it since you were already holding it and by doing so, it would have allowed smoother transition of your slides. Other than that, keep up your good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ish,

    For the reflection of the team performance, it might be better to include more about the performance of the team, not just focus on the team.

    For your own reflection, you covered many aspects and judge your performance reasonably. You mentioned that you held the cue card but you did use it at all. I think you might not feel very confident of delivering your section without reference. But, as a matter of fact, you did it. You need to be more confident of yourself, even though you had appeared confident and natural during the presentation. Overall, you did a good job and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ish!

    Firstly, I really liked your team's presentation. As you have mentioned, you all looked and spoke like a team.

    About your individual performance - I feel you delivered your part with confidence and from what I can remember, you spoke very fast during Oral Presentation 1 but this time, you adopted a good speed. I feel you could've made more use of gestures but as you have said, the cue cards and the remote control could've been a hindrance. I think you should try speaking without cue cards as that adds to how confident a person appears. Also, since you are a confident speaker already, the next thing you can and achieve could be humour sense... I suppose even in a speech/presentation about a serious topic, appropriate amount of humour would be appreciated and well received. (Now thats something we all need to try for!)

    Krithika

    ReplyDelete